- Optimism or pessimism? A composite view on English living standards during the Industrial Revolution (with Herman de Jong). Available on early view at the European Review of Economic History website. [link].
- See the working paper version here.
- See a summary of this research at VOX, the online portal of the CEPR (link).
- The role of capital and productivity in accounting for income differences since 1913 (with Robert C. Inklaar). Available on early view at the Journal of Economic Surveys website. [link]
- 2020, Sanitary infrastructures and the decline of mortality in Germany, 1877-1913. Available on early view at the Economic History Review website. [link]
- 2019, The Composition of Capital and Cross-country Productivity Comparisons. International Productivity Monitor, 36, 34-52 (with Robert. C. Inklaar and Pieter J. Woltjer). [link]
- The data set can be found at the website of the Penn World Table (link).
- 2019, Missed opportunities? Human welfare in Western Europe and the United States, 1913–1950. Explorations in Economic History, 72, 57-73. [link]
- 2018, Health, well-being and inequality over the long term. Doctoral dissertation at the University of Groningen.
- 2018, Health and economic development since 1900. Economics & Human Biology, 31, 228-237. [link]
- 2015, Paving the way to modernity: Prussian roads and grain market integration in Westphalia, 1821–1855. Scandinavian Economic History Review, 63 (1), 69-92 (with Martin Uebele). [link]